One reader's rave

"Thanks for the newspaper with your book review. I can’t tell you how impressed I am with this terrific piece of writing. It is beautiful, complex, scholarly. Only sorry Mr. Freire cannot read it!" -- Ailene

Cassie Jaye, the day before I met her at the _Red Pill_ world premiere

Friday, February 07, 2020

A Fine New Publication in Philadelphia

I recently read Volume 1, Issue 2 of Root Quarterly, a new review of "art and ideas from Philadelphia," which someone handed me a couple months ago right after I'd delivered an open mic performance at the Erotic Literary Salon.

I'm very favorably impressed. This issue's theme is monsters, and the core pieces are a personal essay and an analysis concerned with call-out and cancel culture. As Lauren Leonard writes in the essay on why she "choose[s] not to cancel Ryan Adams," "What we're really cancelling when we blanketly and spontaneously disappear art is critical thought and argument. We cancel reflection and hindsight.... We cancel choice." And the analysis by Walter Foley and Heather Shayne Blakeslee uses the case of James Damore to examine how the current business model for media feeds moral panic, calling it "outrage as profit center."

As soon as I have a little disposable income, I intend to subscribe.


No comments: