One reader's rave

"Thanks for the newspaper with your book review. I can’t tell you how impressed I am with this terrific piece of writing. It is beautiful, complex, scholarly. Only sorry Mr. Freire cannot read it!" -- Ailene

Cassie Jaye, the day before I met her at the _Red Pill_ world premiere

Thursday, August 30, 2018

On Frame-ups, Interrupting the Spiral of Silence

There was a hearing this morning in the case of Mumia Abu-Jamal, framed for the killing of a Philadelphia police officer in 1981. There was a demonstration in support of him outside the building, in which I took part. (It had been planned also to have supporters attend the hearing inside, but police hostile to him tricked us by saying the hearing had been postponed, allowing them to pack the courtroom.)

Having noticed an opportunity here to propagate information confounding simplistic ideological-tribal thinking, I made a sign that, on one side, noted Oklahoma City police officer Daniel Holtzclaw was also framed a few years ago. It only got two reactions: a younger white woman asked who the other person on the sign was, and I explained that he's a more recent frame-up victim and gave his name. And, as she passed me, an older black woman whispered, "I'm glad you got that sign for that cop."


No comments: