One reader's rave

"Thanks for the newspaper with your book review. I can’t tell you how impressed I am with this terrific piece of writing. It is beautiful, complex, scholarly. Only sorry Mr. Freire cannot read it!" -- Ailene

Cassie Jaye, the day before I met her at the _Red Pill_ world premiere

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Proposal

Having first gathered at 30th Street Station and then rallied against postal cuts at the Main Post Office, the crowd was now settling down at the municipal workers' union hall for the indoor part of Philly's Occupy the Dream event. A man came in front of the podium and activated the Occupy movement's "people's mic" by calling out, "Mic check!" The crowd responded in line. And a second call-and-response: "Mic check!"--"Mic check!" He commenced his message -- which I'm fairly sure was not part of the organizers' program for the evening -- by saying a woman's name, and followed this with, "Will you marry me?" She didn't reply via "people's mic," but was smiling broadly, and a moment later he was at the back of the room with her and it could be observed that they were kissing.

And so it was that I not only witnessed a marriage proposal in person for the first time in my life, but also took part in it.

No comments: