One reader's rave

"Thanks for the newspaper with your book review. I can’t tell you how impressed I am with this terrific piece of writing. It is beautiful, complex, scholarly. Only sorry Mr. Freire cannot read it!" -- Ailene

Cassie Jaye, the day before I met her at the _Red Pill_ world premiere

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Squeaky Voices 'R' Us

I just had the first occasion in quite a while to read a children's book -- and probably the first time ever that I read an entire book aloud, since the first book I was able to read. That's because, after attending a performance of The Vagina Monologues last month, I volunteered to read a book-on-tape as part of the Penn Women's Center's Week of Service. I just came from doing so. The book was Squizzy the Black Squirrel: A Fabulous Fable of Friendship, written by Chuck Stone with illustrations by Jeannie Jackson. It will be one of 35 books-on-tape to be donated by PWC to a women's and children's shelter run by Women Against Abuse. I volunteered this particular form of service because reading aloud is one of the things I'm good at. And I chose that particular book because squirrels were my favorite animals when I was little. (Although, when my mother told me she'd run out of bedtime stories and I would have to invent a character for her to tell new ones about, I made it a zebra named Stripey. Hence my username.) 

No comments: